Intensive Gut Healing Program
Gastrointestinal issues can be just as uncomfortable to talk about as they are to experience!
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Small Intestine Bowel Overgrowth (SIBO)
- Crohn’s and colitis
- Chronic constipation, gas, bloating or diarrhea
- Gall bladder disease
If you struggle with any of these digestive problems, you are not alone. It is estimated that at least twenty percent of Canadians experience symptoms of GI distress some or most of the time. A healthy gut is key not only for nutrient status, but also for immunity, vitality, mood, and to regulate inflammation in the whole body. And an unhealthy gut does not always manifest in digestive symptoms-other symptoms may range from fatigue to joint pain to skin problems!
Overwhelming evidence indicates that gut health impacts overall health. The gut microbiome plays a critical role in mediating the effects of diet and other factors, including digestive, immune, metabolic and nervous system imbalances. Assessing GI health helps get to the root cause of many chronic illnesses.
If you want to improve your gut health, we need to first address your underlying issues, and then rebuild your gut from the bottom up! Advanced tests, like food sensitivity testing, Comprehensive Stool Analysis, SIBO breath tests, Zonulin and GI-MAP testing are some of the assessment tools that may be recommended for you.
Dr. Baron uses the 5R program for gut healing:
- REMOVE the foods, chemicals, medicines and unfriendly gut microbes that are causing inflammation and “leakiness” of the gut
- REPLACE with beneficial digestive enzymes and an anti-inflammatory diet
- REINOCCULATE with pre and probiotics that maintain and defend gut integrity
- REPAIR the gut lining with key nutrients that heal the gut
- REBALANCE yourself, by addressing issues that impact the gut, like stress, sleep and daily food choices.
The process of gut healing and repair takes time, commitment and perseverance. This program takes six months, which is quite miraculous considering you are resetting your digestion, rebuilding your gastrointestinal system, and overcoming the chronic conditions that may have developed over many years!
At your first visit, we will review your health history in detail. At this point, testing recommendations will be discussed and ordered, if appropriate. Your second visit will be scheduled after your test results are back. I will support you monthly as you integrate all the changes of your program into your daily life.
Take the Gut Health Questionnaire!
Have you had lots of traditional medical tests, tried different medications, and yet still feel frequent stomach or intestinal discomfort? You likely have a functional gut problem, not a gut disease. Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Is indigestion, stomach pain, or reflux a common occurrence for you?
- After eating, do you experience fatigue?
- Do you take acid-blocking drugs for reflux, heartburn or hiatus hernia?
- Do you have loose urgent BMs more than once a month?
- Do you require a laxative at least once per month?
- Do you suffer from uncomfortable gas and bloating?
- Have you been diagnosed with IBS (which means, “my gut is irritated”)?
- Do you have bad breath?
- Do you have food sensitivities or allergies?
- Are you sensitive to chemicals and fragrances found in everyday products?
- Do you suffer with seasonal allergies?
- Have you taken antibiotics at least once in the last two years?
- Have you ever used antibiotics for more than a ten-day course, or three times in one year?
- Have you ever needed steroid medications, including nasal sprays or inhalers?
- Are headaches a common occurrence for you?
- Do you suffer from depression or mood swings?
- Have you been diagnosed with diabetes?
- Have you been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease?
- Did you suffer from frequent ear or throat infections as a child?
- Have your tonsils been removed?
If you score four or more yes answers to this questionnaire, you may have an underlying functional gut problem that can be greatly improved by the Intensive Gut Repair Program.
The Gastrointestinal system that digests and assimilates food is connected to our nervous system, and both are linked through the cells of the immune system. In fact, 70% of your immune cells are directly associated with your gut! That’s why the gut is the starting point for a lot of chronic conditions that may appear to have nothing to do with your stomach! Headache, joint pain, muscle pain, fatigue, skin problems and even mood disorders may be kicked off by the intestinal immune system, which is in constant communication with your gut and the complex microbiology that is present there.